Preparing for a boudoir photography session is not something that happens overnight. In order to have a positive experience and the best possible results, you’ll want to put some thought and planning into preparing for the big day.
Here are a few things to do in the days leading up to your photo shoot:
1. Plan your wardrobe. The most important lesson of wardrobe planning is that you will look good in what makes you feel good. Spend some time looking through my website and getting ideas for looks that you love, and then head to your closet.
Try on the lingerie you think you want to wear, and pair it with sexy shoes and accessories. And keep in mind that you don’t have to limit your wardrobe selections to lingerie. You can wear a favorite sweater, your hubby or boyfriend's favorite dress shirt and tie, or a comfy t-shirt paired with some sexy panties.
Consider treating yourself to something new that will help boost your confidence, but don’t feel that you have to spend a fortune on new lingerie if you hate shopping or don’t have the budget.
I find that wearing something that’s meaningful to you (or your partner), like lingerie or jewelry that you wore for a special occasion, will help personalize your photos.
Most importantly, base your wardrobe selections on what makes you look and feel your absolute best and that you will be comfortable in.
2. Decide what you want your photo shoot to accomplish. I do a better job for you if I know what it is that you want out of this experience. Do you want to be sultry and glamorous or playful and risque? Regardless, you will look confident, beautiful and sexy, but we can best celebrate who you are and where you’re at during this point in your life if we go in to it with a clear plan.(Don't worry, we will set up planning calls to talk about ideas!)
3. Your nails and toenails will show in your photos, so consider a manicure and pedicure a day or two before your shoot, or polish them yourself.
4. Avoid being out in the sun in a bathing suit or clothing that will cause tan lines, and DO NOT spray tan or use self-tanner. That orange glow is not going to look as sexy as you think it will. (If you HAVE to tan, please be sure to do it at least a week in advance for any orange tones to calm down).
5. If you wax, do it a few days before the shoot to avoid bumpiness, redness and swelling for the shoot.
6. Do not starve yourself or exercise yourself to death. My job is to capture your most authentic self, and I will pose you in ways that flatter your curves. To help look your best, drink lots of water to help hydrate your skin, get plenty of sleep leading up to the session, use a moisturizer, and avoid foods and beverages that make you feel less than your best for a day or two before your photo shoot. Don’t skip breakfast on the day of your session, as no one looks their best when they’re hangry!
7. Decide to push yourself outside of your comfort zone. Everyone starts out feeling nervous, but the most stunning photographs happen when you get to a place where you’re comfortable and letting your guard down a little.
8. Do it for you. Most women schedule a boudoir session with the idea that they’re doing it for a significant other. What you’ll learn during your session is that this experience is ultimately for YOU and how incredibly gorgeous and empowered it will make you feel.
9. Relax and have fun! When you walk into my studio, the time for planning, stressing and feeling nervous is over. Now is when the fun begins! We are going to have the best time together celebrating the beautiful woman that you are, and I promise that you are going to look and feel absolutely amazing! Have fun! You will most likely laugh at something silly I did or while you are pulling out a wedgie from "scooching" down the bed to get to the headboard!)
We are going to create something that you (and your significant other) will cherish forever. Today is only here for a little while... let's photograph the incredible woman you are right now.
Are you ready to feel pampered, beautiful and empowered?
See my boudoir gallery
Learn about my boudoir style
Learn about the secret of boudoir
Like My Boudoir Page on Facebook